Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Health and Welfare



Wild Onion

As a Nation we are busy. So busy that Fast Food has become a billion dollar industry in a very short time. Growing up it was a treat to go to McDonald's or Wendy's. Now it seems it is a treat to sit down to a homemade family meal at home. We are so busy we drive to the gym to walk on a treadmill so we can watch T.V. while we do it. We are so busy we get upset when someone doesn't respond to our text message within minutes.

Growing up in the country meant that we had to drive into town for groceries. 5 miles wasn't a terribly long distance, but would take an hour's time to drive to town, get what you want and then drive home. That usually meant that take out pizza, which would not be delivered that far out, was cold when you got it home. Tin foil and the oven cured that because it just didn't taste right warmed up in the microwave.

Our health as a Nation has suffered a great deal because of it all. Getting back to natural foods is the only way to get back our health. Whole foods I think are the answer. I have always wondered why we separate and process foods. There are benefits to eating the entire food product. Just like herbs and medicinal plants. We research what ingredient of the plant cures what ails us, then mass produce only that part of it in a lab. Maybe just maybe that is why there are so many side effects to drugs these days.


Chickory


So to do my part of getting back to a healthy lifestyle I am going to plant an edible landscape. I rent so I am limited to what I can do and where. I have several flower gardens though that are plenty big for our family. I am going to start out with some simple herbs in containers, some greens and some veggies. One major obstacle is that my yard face North with a large tree on the south end. So what ever I plant will have to like shade. I have very little area to plant that faces South. Maybe enough room for 2 - 3 containers and that is it.

I am getting a late start probably on planting but I am busy until next week. So after the backpacking trip this weekend I will be heading off to the local nurseries and picking up some starter plants. Here is what I am thinking:
Mint - love it for taste and smell and looks
Parsley?
Cilantro
Oregano
Basil
Onions
Garlic
Leeks
Lettuce - couple of different varieties
Cabbage - Chines variety for color?
Tomatoes - cherry
Bell Peppers
Cucumbers
Celery
Stevia - Sugar substitute with so many other benefits.
Catnip - for the kitty
and we'll see what ever tickles my fancy that someone can suggest for a shady yard.

I would love to throw in some wild stuff too. Some flowers might be good for color maybe some that are edible.

I'll be sure to post some progress with pictures.

See you in the woods!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment